As a kid, did you dream of becoming a firefighter, a policeman, a cowboy, or even a fighter pilot like the movie Top Gun? I know I did. I was lucky enough to be stationed at Top Gun, while in the U.S. Navy, but I wasn’t a fighter pilot, but my guest today, Carey Lohrenz, was. And even one better… she was the first fully qualified female naval aviator to fly the F-14 Tomcat in the U.S. military. I first met Carey when she went through the Top Gun school in the 90s, funny how worlds collide sometimes. She is now a motivational speaker and best-selling author… huh, a little interesting, I may say, as I am as well!
A bit about Carey:
As an aviation pioneer, Carey learned what fearless leadership means in some of the most demanding and extreme environments imaginable: the cockpit of an F-14 and the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Here, her teams had to perform at their peak – or lives were on the line. Faltering leadership was simply unacceptable. Through these experiences, Lohrenz identified a fundamental truth: high-performing teams require fearless leaders.
Since leaving the Navy, she’s translated that lesson into a new field, helping top business leaders, from Fortune 500 executives to middle managers, supercharge performance in today’s competitive business environments. In Fearless Leadership, Lohrenz walks you through the three fundamentals of real fearlessness – courage, tenacity, and integrity – and then reveals fearless leadership in action, offering advice on how to set a bold vision, bring the team together (as wingmen, not Top Gun mavericks), execute effectively, and stay resilient through hard times.
- What motivated Carey to be a fighter pilot, which males heavily dominate.
- How did her athletic career prepare her for being a fighter pilot and a successful career after?
- How was she able to utilize the skills she learned as a fighter pilot into the business world?
- I share my experiences in a flight simulator landing on an aircraft carrier, then Carey explains how it is really done!
- What was it like being in the military’s quintessential boy’s club?
- Can you use social media positively in today’s world?
- Why focusing on the things you can change is one of the main keys to happiness.
- How did she come up with the concept for her book “Fearless Leadership”?
- What are the fundamentals of Fearless Leadership?
- Are leaders made or born?
- What does it take to be truly fearless in life?
- How she came up with the concept for her new book “Span Of Control: What To Do When You’re Under Pressure, Overwhelmed, And Ready To Get What You Really Want.”
- What is the key ingredient in order to be successful in starting and running your own business?