Have you ever wanted to sell everything and just travel the world, or maybe just go exploring on a budget? Today, Gary interviews best-selling author and world traveler Rolf Potts.
Rolf has reported from more than sixty countries for the likes of National Geographic Traveler, The New Yorker, Slate.com, Outside, the New York Times Magazine, The Believer, The Guardian (U.K.), Sports Illustrated, National Public Radio, and the Travel Channel. His adventures have taken him across six continents, and include piloting a fishing boat 900 miles down the Laotian Mekong, hitchhiking across Eastern Europe, traversing Israel on foot, bicycling across Burma, driving a Land Rover across South America, and traveling around the world for six weeks with no luggage or bags of any kind.
Potts is perhaps best known for promoting the ethic of independent travel, and his book on the subject, Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel (Random House, 2003), has been through thirty-one printings and translated into several foreign languages. His collection of literary travel essays, Marco Polo Didn’t Go There: Stories and Revelations From One Decade as a Postmodern Travel Writer (Travelers’ Tales, 2008), won a 2009 Lowell Thomas Award from the Society of American Travel Writers and became the first American-authored book to win Italy’s prestigious Chatwin Prize for travel writing. He has also co-written a travel-themed comic book and penned a volume about The Geto Boys for Bloomsbury Academic’s vaunted “33 1/3” series of music criticism. His newest book, Souvenir, was published by Bloomsbury in March of 2018.
Vagabonding Topics Discussed with Rolf Potts:
- A bit about Rolf
- What got Rolf started on the journey of being a modern vagabond
- How Rolf turned his passion into a career
- Rolf explains the ins and outs of international travel
- What advice he gives for people just starting out
- What are some of the “must-have” items when traveling abroad
- What adventure sticks out most in his mind
- Rolf explains his current focus on walking more for his travel adventures
- Rolf’s best-selling traveling book: https://amzn.to/31DM18B
- Rolf’s website: https://rolfpotts.com/
- Rolf’s “Deviate” podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deviate-with-rolf-potts/id1315718369
- How to be in the Simple Life Circle: https://thesimplelifenow.com/betterlife
- The Simple Life website: https://thesimplelifenow.com